One can for every pound I lose...bring it!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolve

As the New Year draws near, a lot of people are taking about (insert collective groan here) resolutions. 


I got a funny text cartoon today - one dog asked another "What exactly IS a New Year's Resolution?" The other dog answered, "It's a 
'To Do' list for the first week of January."


It's funny 'cuz it's true, right? 


I don't want to set myself up for failure by making promises I can only halfheartedly keep. Today, out of the blue, I decided I was going to add a "because" to the end of each resolution. I had to choose wisely. A "because" means there's a reason for it. 


Old resolution: I want to lose weight. 


New resolution: I want to lose weight because I am concerned about my health and want to feel better, and get off my cholesterol medicine. 


I know you're supposed to be specific too - like, "I want to lose 40 pounds". That doesn't work for me though - because it sounds too big and I can't keep up with the bigness of it. I'll stick with my "becauses." They help me focus on the feeling. 


I want to pack my lunch for work because if I don't pack, I make unhealthy choices that make me feel bad. I also want to pack for my husband and son because I want them to eat healthier too. 


I want to exercise more because when I do, it helps improve my mood and will help me reach my weight loss goal. 


I want to make a date night every month because it helps me feel closer to my husband. 


I want to dress nicer for work because it helps me feel more confident. 


Yup, I have a few resolutions. And I will certainly try to resolve to keep them. I will also resolve to forgive myself when I don't - because when I do, I am being kind to myself, and I can get back on track easier when I am kind to myself. 


Try to add your "becauses" - it helps make your resolutions more emotionally attached and may make them more than just a "TO DO" list. I know it made me think harder about why I was picking the things I did. A New Year can be full of hope, and the last thing we want to do is have our resolutions making us feel hopeless! 


Here's a favorite quote to leave you with: 

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." - Edith Lovejoy Pierce. 


Blank pages! Woo hoo! What story will YOU write in 2012? 
Happy New Year everyone! 


1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Diana! I'm going to copy you BECAUSE that's just what I need!

    ReplyDelete