One can for every pound I lose...bring it!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Going up?


"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

When I was young, I'd bound up the steps two at a time. As I grew into my teenage years I figured out which ones creaked and would avoid them as I crept in past my curfew. Now? I take the elevator. Ha, Ha. Half-kidding...

I think we all need to look at our personal journeys - whatever they may be - as "one step at a time." In committing myself to the Biggest Loser "adventure" (my word not theirs...and my word BEFORE I get there) I am only looking at the first step - the decision to go. It's a step in faith. Faith in myself, in my body, in God, in the program. After that? Well, that particular staircase is kind of high, and my fear of heights prevents me from looking up.

I confirmed my shuttle arrangements today, spoke with my BL phone friend Shayley (what a doll!) about my upcoming stay - she recently spent some time there as part of her training and was very excited about all I would experience. I have all the gear - the recommended socks (if you had talked to me a mere few weeks ago about which socks prevent blisters, I wouldn't have had a clue - I could now write a book, or at least a small pamphlet); the pool shoes to prevent foot injury in water aerobics; sports bras (yay! I never knew!) and assorted workout gear (my favorite T says "On A Mission"). Ok...so I'm ready. What to expect?

No expectations, just...faith.

In reading my Dad's book he left behind, I am reminded of the First Step he took about 25 years ago...the step to admit he was powerless ...and that his life had become unmanageable. 12 steps is a lot to do at once, and I remember how powerful that first step was for him. The step that brought him to faith, allowing him to eventually sponsor others as others had done for him as he got to the top of that staircase.  

Not looking for a quick fix this time. Not going to microwave, fast forward, or take shortcuts. No longer taking the elevator to the top, I stand at the bottom... on the first step... in faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment