One can for every pound I lose...bring it!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Seven Days Makes One Weak

And so the countdown begins. After much anticipation (although not too much, as I only decided to go a few weeks ago) I am now officially a week away from getting on the plane from Philly to California for my week at the Biggest Loser Resort.


Blogging about it has been fun. I'm telling a prelude now to what will be a much more interesting story next week (and the weeks after that I am sure). Googling which shoes to buy, chatting about blister free socks, packing my suitcase, stocking up on sunscreen, counting soup cans in my head, picking out the right Camelbak hydration pack (70 oz, silver, fabulous) - it's been fun. It all reminds me of....Christmas.

Ah, the sweet anticipation of the holidays. Making the list, checking it ten times (twice is for wimps), getting just the right photo for our cards (I have a feeling Aldo will not be receptive to antlers this year) and wrapping the gifts so they look like little boxes of love, placed with care under the tree, waiting for the "oohs" and "ahhs" (I am SUCH a good gift giver, never fail to delight.) It's the anticipation that is so enthralling. Behold the sight leading up to the Big Day:



Counting down the days with the themed wall calendar, getting one step closer. Holiday parties, tree decorating, making plans with family. And finally, Christmas Day arrives. And then? Someone wants to take a picture before you've brushed your hair (or teeth.) You have to shuffle between families and make sure no one feels left out. The presents are opened within a matter of minutes, in a whirlwind of paper, the expected oohs and ahhs are rather fleeting, my famous line "oh, that takes BATTERIES?" reappears, the flash doesn't go off (or does), the coffee is not even done brewing and then, this...



I'm always left with a feeling of "it's over already? so quickly?" every year. I find the moments leading UP TO Christmas are more enjoyable than the event itself (except, of course, for the fact that it's a wondrous day with very special meaning in my life).

My husband always talks about "mindfulness." It's something I've practiced since our accident; I've tried to be more "mindful" about being in the moment in many facets of my life - even with my eating. It's been a tough sell for me, having been described as "shooshly". I am now anticipating my trip and worrying that my time will be over before I know it.

So, with one week to go, my prayer is this:

Lord, help me appreciate the gift I am about to receive. Let this week of anticipation be one that I can savor. Let me not forget the true meaning of this journey as we all tend to do with the holidays. Let me appreciate the nature, the beauty of what I am about to experience as I transform my body and mind. Help me to see that I am not weak and am getting stronger every day, and that I can do this as You promised through You who strengthens me. Amen.

Yes, I am weak with nerves, doubting myself as I often do, even as I pledge to raise so many cans of soup and have people cheering me on. But, I know that seven days from now, I am taking a positive step forward to face my fears and allow myself to be open to a new experience. I am seven short days away from a great adventure where I already feel like I have made some friends (thank you, Internet).

Looking forward to the end of the week? Nope. And if you haven't noticed by now, I tend to like to end on a dramatic note, so, as not to disappoint, here's what I'm looking forward to:

Seven days, and seven nights, and it's ON like Donkey Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment