One can for every pound I lose...bring it!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 6 Hike: No risk, no reward

So, one of the reasons I came here was because I was used to taking the easy way out. I tried all the fad diets and tried to microwave myself thin (not literally, people). I cancelled my appointments with my trainer when I was running late from work and promised myself I'd exercise at home (didn't happen.) My health & fitness got fit in around everything else - instead of realizing that there wouldn't be much else if I didn't get myself to a healthy place and make it a priority.

So, this week has taught me that when you challenge yourself and do something outside your comfort zone, it pays off. The risk is worth the reward.

Today's hikes were an optional sign up. I was thinking about going to the beach hike again since it was so beautiful and I really really love looking at the ocean. But then I heard talk of Solstice. Basically, the consensus was "It's SO hard at first but the reward makes it all worth it." (what reward? do we get cookies at the end?)

I asked 3 different trainers their opinions on which hike I should take (including the hiking manager) - all 3 of them said "Solstice" because it was so lovely at the end.

At the end...um, how about the beginning and middle? Made me a little nervous. I didn't know if I wanted to do it. The beach was so lovely...but then the "new" me realized what my old thoughts were doing.

Taking the escalator instead of the stairs.

OK OK I'm only here for a week and was up for the challenge. I wanted that reward!

I considered today my "last chance workout." There was only one class after lunch (I had a choice and was going to pick Total Body H2O) so I knew I needed a good calorie burn - it's weigh day tomorrow!

Off to Solstice we went. They took 2 vans because so many people signed up.

The beginning was TOUGH. Like, a straight incline for what felt like an hour (but it was only like 46 minutes)

I took 111 pictures on this hike.

we started up.



and up


and up


pause for photo op

Tropical terrace? Don't mind if I do


resume upness (my word)



This part scared me.

I'm going over there.

wow...scenic views







Bet they have nice views!
Yay! Down-ness!



So I started to see some of the "ruins" they talked about on the way here.





Built in the 30's by one of the first African-American architects, with an elaborate system to protect it from fire - it was destroyed in a canyon fire in the 80's because the system was not maintained after the owner's death. They had pictures - you should have SEEN the view from their kitchen. Amazing.

So then I hear a sound (no, not a rattle) of falling water. There was a waterfall! Yay!

steps to waterfall

It was so lovely and cool down at the bottom. We lingered for a while then headed back on a nice flat trail. Someone mentioned that the Solstice hike has a reputation for being awful (because when they first opened and it was 100 degrees out and people had this as their first hike ever, it was awful) - but this was one of my favorites. I loved the views and the different perspectives of nature on this hike. Very satisfying last hike.

And so, at the end of the day, I can say I took a risk (which seems very small now that it's over!) and was rewarded with some breathtaking views of God's craftsmanship (and I did thank Him many times along the way for the scenery!)

Like anything in life, if you want the reward, you gotta work for it. Just like with weight loss. It's not easy and takes work...but at the end you can enjoy the view... in this:



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post, as usual. I loved the mirror at the end as well. You are a really lovely person, and I am so glad we got to meet in person. Take care of yourself and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete